CodigoPoker Reports WSOP Main Event Heads-Up Delayed until January
On the day Upeshka De Silva was disqualified from the WSOP Final Table for a positive COVID-19 test, there have been further ramifications for the Main Event with the news that the heads-up match will be postponed until Jan. 3.
This is due to him having been in Europe less than 15 days ago, participating in the final table held at King's Casino, Rozvadov in the Czech Republic. Salas defeated Brazil's Brunno Botteon heads-up just 13 days ago.
Negative Tests, but No Travel
According to CodigoPoker, Salas has tested negative for COVID-19 and had obtained a "certificate of exemption" from the WSOP in order to participate in the event.
However, two possible routes to the United States - via Dallas and Miami - were shut off by authorities, due to Salas attending the Final Table in Rozvadov earlier this month.
"I was going to travel to Las Vegas on Saturday via Dallas," Salas told the site. "But 15 minutes before leaving for the airport I received a notification that in Dallas they did not recognize my certificate and that they would not let me in."
Salas was then instructed to change his tickets, along with those of his wife, brother and two friends, and to travel to Las Vegas via Miami However, Miami also refused to recognize the certificate leaving Salas stranded.
The father of three, is said to be "very dissatisfied" at the inconvenience, this has caused him. He will now travel this Wednesday - the original date of the heads-up match - and arrive in the United States the following day. The heads-up match will take place on Jan. 2.