UK & Ireland Sunday Briefing: Big Score for Patrick Leonard
Hundreds of the United Kingdom and Ireland’s best poker players are either in Las Vegas or on their way there for the 2018 World Series of Poker, but there are equally as many, if not more, of our players who are still on home soil and grinding away in online poker tournaments.
Patrick Leonard is one such player and his decision to stay at home, for now at least, looks to be paying off. Leonard managed a second-place finish in the partypoker Super Sunday High Roller, a $100,000 guaranteed tournament with a $2,600 buy-in. The partypoker ambassador netted $26,500 for his runner-up finish before finishing fifth in the Sunday Major: $150K Gtd High Roller for an additional $8,183; Roberto “WelshWizard” Romanello finished 11th in that tournament for $2,362.
There were two British players at the final table of the Super Sunday 1K Deepstack event, too. Jonathan “proudflop” Proudfoot fell in seventh-place for a $6,200 while John “johnadderley” Adderley of Liverpool collected $33,685 by finishing second after a heads-up chop.
Lastly, for partypoker at least, a shout out to Michael “mczhang” Zhang who finished fifth in the KO Series #-39: $100K Gtd 6-Max Turbo for $2,970 plus $1,189 in bounty payments.
Over to 888poker now where “Canette_15” banked $5,475 for finishing fifth in the $50,000 Whale and where “marttyhuw” collected $666 for an eighth-place finish in the $20,000 Sunday GREAT 8.
PokerStars threw up some big scores too. Dan “NukeTheFish!” Wilson won the Bigger $162 for $3,624 and Steve “Mr. Tim Caum” O’Dwyer turned $109 into $2,56 courtesy of a sixth-place finish. Wilson also banked $1,606 for a ninth-place finish in the Bigger $109.
Michael “mczhang” Zhang was the seventh-place finish in the $2,100 Sunday High Roller, a finish worth $8,495 and “gaddulla” walked away with $26,952 thanks to winning the $109 Bounty Builder.
Some of the other notable scores at PokerStars included:
- “t40PAGAU” – second-place in the Bigger $215 for $14,709
- “tucha1337” – fourth-place in the Sunday 500 for $11,596
- “Yorkypoke” – fourth-place in the $215 Sunday Supersonic for $9,958
- Vicente “vicenfish” Delgado – sixth-place in the Bigger $215 for $4,079
- “Liqqa” – third-place in the $215 NLo8 Sunday Supersonic for $3,676
- Kevin “parksy1066” Parkes – eighth-place in the Sunday 500 for $3,538
- “DrAnubis” – third-place in the $215 Triple Threat for $3,525
- Jonathan “Proudflop” Proudfoot – ninth-place in the Sunday 500 for $2,629
- “Kippling25” – third-place in the $109 Bubble Rush for $2,061
The Stars Group owns a majority shareholding in iBus Media