Liv Boeree, Jack Salter, Dermot Blain, Oliver Price, and Marc Convey Win European Poker Awards
The 14th edition of the European Poker Awards took place in Malta on March 25 and it gives us great pleasure here at UK & Ireland PokerNews to reveal that now fewer than five trophies found their way into the hands of players and members of the UK & Ireland.
Both Oliver Price and Dermot Blain collected their respective 2014 Player of the Year (POY) titles thanks to accumulating the most POY points via the Global Poker Index ranking system during 2014. Price beat Stephen Chidwick by almost 400 POY points and currently occupies second place in the 2015 standings.
Blain won his third consecutive Irish POY award, finishing more than 400 points above Marc MacDonnell.
Jack Salter picked up the award for the Breakout Player of the Year, an amazing achievement considering he was group with Team PokerStars Pro George Danzer, Dominik Panka and fellow Brit Oliver Price.
Salter could seemingly do no wrong during 2014 and added some remarkable results to his poker CV over the 12 months including, a win in the $5,000 buy-in Aussie Million Six-Max event ($114,000), a runner-up finish in the EPT Grand Final (€765,000), and a runner-up finish in the World Series of Poker Asia-Pacific Main Event ($516,960).
The GPI Female Player of the Year award is now with Team PokerStars Pro Liv Boeree while Marc “The Conv” Convey beat PokerNews duo Giovanni Angioni and Remko Rinkema plus Lee Davy to the title of Media Person of the Year.
The full list of the 2014 GPI European Poker Awards Winners can be seen below:
- GPI Player of the Year: Ole Schemion
- GPI Female Player of the Year: Liv Boeree
- Charitable Initiative of the Year: REG Charity
- Tournament Performance of the Year: Martin Jacobson’s WSOP Main Event victory
- Poker’s Best Ambassador: George Danzer
- Breakout Player of the Year: Jack Salter
- Lifetime Achievement Award: Pierre Neuville
- Poker Media Content of the Year: Victor Saumont for Nosebleed
- Poker Innovation or Initiative of the Year: Unibet for launching its own gaming platform
- Media Person of the Year: Marc Convey
- Industry Person of the Year: Leon Tsoukernik of King’s Casino
- Event of the Year (Buy-in more than €2,000): EPT Vienna Main Event
- Event of the Year (Buy-in up to $2,000): Battle of Malta
Congratulations to each and every person who won an awards, especially the quintet of our heroes who deservedly collected theirs.