It has been a turbulent week for proponents of online poker, gaming and gambling, thanks to Senator Frist and his merry men in the USA, but let's not forget that we can all toddle on down to our nearest casino or card room back here in the UK for an enjoyable joust at the tables with the chance of a decent payday on top of the sheer fun of the challenge and the social craic!
So, despite the furore and disruption playing out in the background over the water, we have decided to focus on a live festival coming up in England. There will be no superstars necessarily; but who needs TV? There will however be enough to whet the appetite at an affordable price for the keen poker player.
Without further ado, let's head south and shine a beam on the Harbour Lights Festival at the Rendezvous Casino on Brighton Marina, East Sussex. This takes place from next week, Monday 9th October with the Main Event finishing on Sunday 15th October.
The Rendezvous is a modern casino situated on the man-made marina complex east of the main town of Brighton. Nearby are pubs, shops and hotels all overlooking a flotilla of moored yachts and the English Channel beyond them. On a sunny day, it is very pleasant indeed. Apart from the poker, the serious festival hunter can enjoy a pleasant stay seeing some of the sights of Brighton. There's plenty to do!
The Red Rivva poker room is worth a visit too, and here the first of several moderate stake tournaments will take place on Monday 9th October to kick off the festival which culminates in a £500 ($950) Texas Hold'em Freezeout Main Event. Last year, in the corresponding event, regular Brighton winners James Hull and Luke Schwarz chopped the top two prizes for over £10,000 apiece. Also in this event finishing high on the cashing out list were leading European professionals, Martin Green and Dave "El Blondie" Colclough.
The full line-up of tournaments for this year's Harbour Lights festival follows (please note some smaller tournaments are not dealer-dealt according to the Rendezvous' information):
- 9th October at 8pm: £50 + £5 Pot Limit Texas Hold'em with 90 minutes unlimited rebuys and one add-on. (Note: Not dealer-dealt)
- 10th October at 8pm: £100 + £10 No Limit Texas Hold'em with 90 minutes one rebuy and one add-on.
- 11th October at 8pm: £100 + £10 Pot Limit Omaha and Texas Hold'em (one round each) with 90 minutes unlimited rebuys and one add-on. (Note: Not dealer-dealt)
- 12th October at 8pm: £300 + £30 No Limit Texas Hold'em Freezeout This is a two-day event with the Final at 3pm on 13th October.
- 13th October at 3pm: £300 + £30 Final
- 13th October at 7pm: £200 + £20 No Limit Texas Hold'em Freezeout.
- 14th October at 6.30pm: Main Event. £500 + £40 No Limit Texas Hold'em Double Chance Freezeout. This is a two-day event with the Final at 3pm on 15th October.
- 15th October at 3pm: Main Event Final
In addition to these events, there will be a £50 + £5 No Limit Texas Hold'em Satellite to the Main Event held on each day at 2.30pm from 10th October through to 14th October inclusive. These will have unlimited rebuys for 60 minutes followed by an add-on.
Ed note: You can pay for your travel costs by downloading Party Poker here. Use the code UK50FREE and we will credit your account with $50 cash!